The Perfect Dictatorship: China in the 21st Century (Hong Kong University Press 2016; Chinese version by Rive Gauch Publishers, Taipei 2017; Norwegian version by Scandinavian Academic Press, Oslo 2017; Czech version by Academia, Prague fortcoming 2018).
- Read about it in context in The Guardian.
- Read the review in the Wall Street Journal.
- Read the review in the Asian Review of Books.
- Read the review in the News Lens.
- Read the review in TaiwanSenteniel.
- Read the review in China Perspectives.
- Read a two-part review article, in Asialyst, in French, here and here.
- Read about it in Chinese, here, here and here.
- Hear the podcast interview by the Council on Foreign Relations.
Nation of Devils: Democratic Leadership and the Problem of Obedience (Yale University Press 2013; Rusian version by Delo Publishers of the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, Moscow 2016, Czech version by Masaryk University Press, Brno 2017; Chinese version by CITIC Publishers, Beijing, currently ‘suspended’ by the censors).
- Read the review in The Economist.
The Korean State and Social Policy: How South Korea Lifted Itself from Poverty and Dictatorship to Affluence and Democracy (Oxford University Press 2011, with Huck-ju Kwon, Ilcheong Yi, Taekyoon Kim and Jooha Lee).
What Democracy Is For: On Freedom and Moral Government (Princeton University Press 2007 and 2009; Norwegian revised version by Koloritt, Oslo: 2008; Korean version by Bobmunsa, Seoul 2009; Turkish version by Yapi Kredi Yayinlari (YKY, Cogito), Istanbul 2010; Chinese version by Xinhua, Beijing 2012).
The Liberal Vision and Other Essays on Democracy and Progress The Bardwell Press, Oxford 2007)
The Economic Consequences of Mr. Brown: How a Strong Government Was Defeated by a Weak System of Governance (The Bardwell Press, Oxford 2009)
Citizens, Families and Reform (Oxford University Press 1997 and Transaction Publishers 2006)
The Possibility of Politics: A Study in the Political Economy of the Welfare State (Oxford University Press 1987 and 1989 and Transaction Publishers 2006)