The Perfect Dictatorship: China in the 21st Century (Hong Kong University Press 2016)
- Read about it in context in The Guardian.
- Read the review in the Wall Street Journal.
- Read the review in the Asian Review of Books.
- Read the review in the News Lens.
- Read the review in TaiwanSenteniel.
- Read the review in China Perspectives.
- Read a two-part review article, in Asialyst, in French, here and here.
- Read about it in Chinese, here, here and here.
- Hear the podcast interview by the Council on Foreign Relations.
Nation of Devils: Democratic Leadership and the Problem of Obedience (Yale University Press 2013)
- Read the review in The Economist.
The Korean State and Social Policy: How South Korea Lifted Itself from Poverty and Dictatorship to Affluence and Democracy (Oxford University Press 2011, with Huck-ju Kwon, Ilcheong Yi, Taekyoon Kim and Jooha Lee)
What Democracy Is For: On Freedom and Moral Government (Princeton University Press 2007)
The Liberal Vision and Other Essays on Democracy and Progress The Bardwell Press, Oxford 2007)
The Economic Consequences of Mr. Brown: How a Strong Government Was Defeated by a Weak System of Governance (The Bardwell Press, Oxford 2009)
Citizens, Families and Reform (Oxford University Press 1997 and Transaction Publishers 2006)
The Possibility of Politics: A Study in the Political Economy of the Welfare State (Oxford University Press 1987 and 1989 and Transaction Publishers 2006)